Friday, August 27, 2004

I've been reading

I've been reading Microserfs, and it is really easy to locate myself in this book. Except it has me wondering whether a journal is actually helpful to the person writing it. Will I see patterns in my life if I stuck to a journal? I'm not sure.

It's interesting that the book focuses on the body so much. Believing in something is such a success trait nowadays... everyone wants to be someone who believes. Just like Mr. Jones. Was there ever a time when not believing was cool? The Rebel Without a Cause decade, I guess.

More than once I am forced to think about my writing.. my lack of writing. I haven't written anything in ages, even though I still carry my little Eyeore book around. That was my mishmash of journals, poems, and random notes I would take. Mostly from roleplaying sessions. I wonder if I'm losing touch with my soul, or my humanity, or humanity in general. I used to be very universal in the particulars of my writing. There are muddy cherios everywhere.

I worry about my promotion. I'm sure a lot of people liked the other candidate better. I can imagine the shock because Reg has been here about 3 years while I have 1.25 under my belt. Moreover, I'm not sure how he will feel. We joke a lot together now, but he can't be happy that they chose me instead.

1 comment:

Brian Rodgers said...

Microserfs-one of my favorite books.