Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Too long overdue, it's true, i'm out of control

I've started reading JPod today. Microserfs is a great book and I loved it. It's hard not to like it as a Software Developer and a nerd at heart. It's like someone took the time to write about you, and about your quirks and about the way you think. So I'm really looking forward to this one, even though I don't work for a game company.

I will discuss the book in various posts, but I will always warn about spoilers. So here we go: SPOILERS BELOW.




Engineers aren't funny or cute or nerdy. They're damaged.

The older the culture is, the less cutesy it is about saying, "Well, you're a winner because you tried your best." Can you imagine a Chinese person saying that?

It's so easy to locate myself in this book that it feels a bit like cheating. The opening stream of consciousness section is entertaining, and gives that quality of intimacy. I was just discussing with Arwen yesterday how it's those little thoughts that create intimacy. Anyone can share general thoughts and big moments together, but it's the little thoughts and little moments, from being together all the time or sharing thoughts all the time that really... bond. Then, I guess I encourage certain people to tell me everything they're thinking, even the little thoughts, because I crave intimacy with them. I'm damaged.

This leads me to another musing I've had on and off for a while: the internet and connectivity of the world in general is trending society towards more diluted and shallow relationships. It has become a quantitative goal rather than qualitative. In the world of Facebook, it's no longer necessary to cultivate specific relationships. There is no need to be intimate with people. For example, it used to be that kids would hang out. They would hang out for the sake of hanging out, even if they had nothing to do and they were bored, they would be together and learn how to coexist in boring times. They'd try to entertain themselves with each other. Over the internet this will not happen. If I am "hanging out" or talking to someone online, you can guarantee that they are probably doing or thinking about something else. If things get boring they can just go play another game or talk to someone else. The lack of dependency causes a gap in the bonding process. I think this is why the gang is so strong. We were dependent on each other every weekend, and we got together for good or ill. And for my part, I try to recreate this over all my new friendships, and it's not working. No one needs or wants to be intimate with me. I have always preferred to be intimate and share my resources with a select few rather than get into the whole social acquaintances mess. What do I have now?

Now that I'm started, I guess I might as well express my increasing loneliness from not being able to hang out with my friends. Jas is terrific and great and really fantastically adorable, but going from hanging out with my friends every weekend to nothing is... impactful. They do not come to visit, some have not even asked to visit. Not that I have much to entertain them with my 20" CRT, but... I guess this goes back to my feelings above.

I feel like I've run out of gas and probably won't be doing the second quote justice. The statement infers that practicality wins out in the end. It's true that Chinese people would only laugh at you for failing, because success is everything in that culture (practical for a nation of over a billion people). And yet, they hold on to such crazy and impractical traditions and superstitions. It's one giant paradox wrapped in a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this post. It's funny that we blogged about exactly the same thing today. Yet yours is much more detailed and makes more sense.

I found myself in bed also thinking about when people just hung out. I'm craving this closeness...do people do this anymore. Do people try to be good friends? I think I'm a dying race.

A person who actually has people who knows on her face group page rather than claiming to have hundreds of friends.

Perhaps I don't feel the impact of loss of friend time, since I had nothing to lose in the first place. I wish I did.

I keep wondering around, trying to make that friendship that I'll actually miss.

Perhaps I smell of desperation, maybe that's it.

I still keep wondering it true friends still exist.

People who mean what they say, people who say things and follow it through. Not just to shoot the breeze.

Like when I say I'm going somewhere, or I'll be there. You can believe I will be. Or if I say I'll try....I really would.

hmmm I'm rambling. This is your blog not mine. Visit mine for more of yours. lol.

I could be completely at peace with my hubby and child alone...but what I want is balance. hmmm.

Anonymous said...

CBC has created a television adaptation of jPod! It's brilliant, witty and uniquely Canadian. Unfortunately, CBC is deciding not to renew it for another season. To help get the show renewed, please visit http://savejpod.ca

Thanks!