Monday, June 02, 2008

You're born of a jackal! You're beautiful!

It's funny how I perceive things so differently from other people. For example, my friends often think I'm at my meanest when I'm making fun of them or aspects of them that they find to be negative (in front of their face).

I will sometimes mock Chris' weight or about him ever having had one girlfriend or whatever. I agree that the jokes are quite brutal and they cut deep, but really, they are quite a compliment from me. By laughing about these things, what I'm really saying is "haha, let's laugh at these things that don't really matter, I like you how you are".

And that's really true of all my friends. I accept them exactly as they are. If they want to improve and change, that's great too and I support them, but I know all kinds of things about them and it doesn't matter to me. I like them anyway.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is very interesting. I know this was written a year ago, and I don't even know you, but I appreciate this post because I have friends like this, and I always take offense to their comments, but I really shouldn't.

This style of expression conflicts totally with my own way of thinking. I'm very verbal with my affirmation of others, so that's what I typically expect in return.

I guess we can all learn from each other, huh?

dualistic said...

Hellos Laura,

Yeah, it's important that you trust your friends of course! A lot of people are not good with direct communication, but I think you can feel and tell when someone is trying to be mean or if they're just joking around with you.

I think it's much better to have a really relaxed atmosphere, but if it truly bugs you then I'm sure your friends wouldn't mind trying to control themselves either.